Friday, April 24, 2015

ManSpider-low poly character


Here is the low resolution model for the last project. Here I had to decided on which of the two high res models It will  be based on, and I chose the man spider. The reason why I picked this one is because it was challenging, Im a huge spiderman fan, therefore I wanted to have a go at texturing it. The body is 5936 polys, the suit is 3422, together making it 20526 polys, which isn't too bad.





I began with the major part of the model, the body. Taking a decimated model from zbrush, I made it "Live" and began creating the low poly model with "add quad" tool, which is very fun to use. The tricky part was the topology. I didn't think about it enough therefore I had troubles with it. I tried to make it flow with the muscles  to deform nicely if animated.

Here is a close up of the face. I made the edge loops around the mouth, the neck, and eyes like with a regular humanoid model.

Creating the low poly version of the suit was tricky, because of the rips at the edges. I tried to keep it low and at the same time getting every sharp edge covered.
here you can see the topology overall. It seems like the body is "bleeding" through the suit , however it is just a maya bug.




 Here is fully textured suit and character. It was really tricky to make. I began with the suit, as this is the most recognizable thing about Spiderman. I decided to do it inside Zbrush to have more control than doing it inside photoshop. After doing the red and blue, I switched to photoshop to create the black lines/webbing as it was easier this way. Then I went back to Zbrush to fix the issue with lines not matching. I'm quite happy with the results, however it seems too flat. If I had more time I would create a better normal map for the webbing to make it stand out more.

Before exiting Zbrush I masked out the blue area and then applied a noise filter to the red part. I used a hexagon texture (to the left) to give it a spandex look like in the movies, to add a bit more realism.











Hexagon texture applied to the red area


For the body texture I went back to Zbrush. I applied a gray colour to the whole mesh, and went from there. By adding a darker gray in certain areas it gave an illusion of density/shadow. I used a fur alpha in some areas to give it some variation.

Texture for the claws was done in Photoshop. A basic color over the uvs was enough.
Overall im quite happy with the results. It turned out better than I thought. If I managed my time better this model would turn out better than this. Near the end I rushed and skipped few ideas I had like better webbing, different UV layout and so on. Also I could improve on the topology which isn't too bad  but it isn't too great as well; like adding better loops around the shoulders and neck. Here are the final results.





























No comments:

Post a Comment