Monday, December 7, 2015

AlphaProject- Fortune Teller

Sketchfab

Fortune teller began as a sketch, and originally she was going to be more creepy looking than the final result; four arms, skull like face or zombie. In the end I decided that she should be beautiful and human.
'mysterious, gypsy, bizarre'
"Nobody visits her if there isn't a serious need for it. Nobody knows where she came from, she just showed up, or was there all along? One thing is for sure, she knows what she's doing"

Doing mostly my designing inside zbrush I thought a little bit of 2D won't hurt, and it did really help. I took the basic renders from Zbrush and did a paint over, helping me to visualize different ideas; too bad some of them didn't fit with the design/character because I really think some of them would fit her.
Just like with the goblin I wasn't sure about the head part. She was going to be bald, but then I thought of dreadlocks (even though they don't really fit with a gypsy stereotype), they fit quite well!
I made the dreadlocks using the 'insertTubeBrush' inside Zbrush, this way I could move them around the way I wanted. The next step was to Fibermesh it! Took a bit of try and error, tutorials, but I got there. However, I had to apply the fiber mesh to each dreadlock separately, making them poly heavy. I ended up deleting the fibermesh, I will comeback to it later on. I also used a noise feature on them, gives them a nice texture.
Another idea I've got from 2D concepting is giving her tattoos all over her body;mystic and religious symbols. However I'm not sure about it yet, I'm waiting for the polypainting stage to happen, so some tattoos research will be needed here.



Also tried different hair
































Except the four arms, being blind, and having an eye connected to her eye patch, she is a pretty standard, human character. Four arms was just my way to make her look more unique and bizarre, and also I enjoy four arms characters. What I did was sculpting one arm and then duplicating it for each side, simple process.
As for the eye patch, I think it added some mystery to her, of how did it happen that she is blind, where does this "all see" eye artifact comes from etc. Making it I imagined it would move around, something like Alastor's Moody eye
Most importantly, she is a gypsy character, however I thought giving her all sort of medallions and hangy amulets would express her believes and expertise in her craft, even though she serves the all see eye (which doesn't necessary means God). I used insert mesh, and insert curve inside Zbrush to place the medallions etc. Some of them I made myself, but also some of them were borrowed from the zbrush central.

The triple skirt began as one, made inside Maya with a help from the cloth simulation (to get easy folds here and there), then after I've got inspired by my reference, I ended up adding more layers to it, making it less boring. Also the idea was to make the skirt long to the ground, so when she moves, she would do it gracefully and with ghost like smoothness.
The cape wasn't originally there, but I felt like something is missing, and it fit in just fine. I went through the same process like with the skirt (maya, cloth simulation), after that i extruded it for some thickness.



So naturally i had to give her tarot cards (will add more)
For some of the jewelry i improvised or just googled "gypsy jewelry"










Here is the current, almost final result. I'm really not sure about the colors, maybe I will do some 2D work to figure that one out. So far I'm really satisfying how she is turning out


























No comments:

Post a Comment